What an eventful and exciting first day for our pre-conference! As our nightly post (with pictures!) demonstrated, all three groups enjoyed packed schedules and interesting topics & tours. If you’d like to share more pictures or updates with us, feel free to email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or add them to our twitter feed (#IFLAPREatLOC).
- After a continental breakfast (8:30-9:15 in Madison Building LM-649), delegates will hear a greeting from David Mao, the Acting Librarian of Congress and Mark Sweeney, Associate Librarian. The second keynote session focuses on “Rethinking Resource Sharing Around the World”.
- Session 5 (11:00-12:00) highlights activities at The University of the West Indies Mona Libraries, Jamaica and Makerere University, followed by a buffet lunch. Breakout sessions will then focus on specific topics of interest.
- Session 6 (3:00-4:00) examines the “Current Landscape of International Interlibrary Loan”.
- Make sure you’re on the bus at the Madison Building C Street Entrance at 8:30am… because it’s time for a trip to the National Audiovisual Conservation Center (NAVCC)!
- After an opening welcome from Greg Lukow (10:15), attendees will enjoy several paper presentations, followed by a group photo and shared lunch.
- In the afternoon, experience tours of the various aspects of NAVCC, including freezer vaults, digital storage and processing, storage of AV, and materials processing.
- After sharing coffee (8:30-9:00), please meet for announcements and welcome remarks by Lillian Gassie in the Coolidge Auditorium of the Jefferson Building. Session 1 offers a panel addressing “Delivering and Improving Services to Clients”, and Session 2 focuses on “Developing and Improving Tools and Processes”.
- Lunch will be held in the Members’ Room (Yellow) and the Scholar’s Room (Green), followed by Session 3, “How to Design Products and Services that Meet Clients’ Needs”. We will then participate in related break out group discussions.
- After the PARL Talk Updates from Regional Networks and closing remarks, everyone will depart for the Dinner-Cruise! Be sure you’re comfortable with transportation, and ask staff if needed.
For tomorrow, all groups please make sure you are pre-registered for the Tours of Library of Congress Collections & Services – we’re looking forward to sharing our workplace with you and learning from your questions and experiences. And for those attending the Congressional Research Service (CRS) tour on Friday, please think of questions to ask my panel!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask any of us with staff badges, post on the blog, or tweet with the hash tag #IFLAPREatLOC!